[MUD-Dev] players who "take away from the game"

Quzah quzah at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 22:38:51 CET 1999

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Grøstad wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:
> >   All bugs are fair game and may be exploited as wished as long as
> > you report them beforehand.  Exploitation of non-reported bugs (not
> > reported by the exploiter) are rewarded with character or player
> > deletion.
>
> How will players know that it is a bug?  The assumption that players will
> think of an advantage as a bug assumes a rather homogenous imitating world
> and a knowledgeable player base?
>
> Example: If I get one million gold for selling my first mushroom to a troll
> in the mountains, does that make it a bug?  I would call it a fortunate
> incident.

This remindes me of 'Conch' (I think that's how they spelled it.) Mud.
The black queen's bishop's pawn always gave huge amounts of experience.
Even when you were high level it was still worth a stop by the chess
board (which was blocked off to those above level 6 I think) to kill it.
Even when the king and queen were only worth 1 experience, I think you
could get in there and kill the bqbp for 50 or so.

Getting in was another matter entirely ;) You just had my mage go out
there as soon as he got um.. beacon or something like that, he cast a
beacon on the chess board at low level, then recalled/teleported back
to his beacon, you met him there at low leve, and he cast your anchor
(beacon had two parts: anchor, and recall) on the chess board, then
any time at high level you wanted back out there, he cast recall on
you and vola!

Such a fun place, so many fun things to do... it's a shame what
they did to my mage :(

> I think it is rather naive to expect the average user to report such things.
> (Of course, there may be people that report your features as bugs too!). I
> wonder if admins kick people out because they exploit things, or because the
> exploitations make the admins' possibly lacking design/coding abilities very
> visible! :^)

*sniff* ...and after all the things he showed them too...

Quzah.
"Hey am I supposed to be able to do this?"

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu