bugs (was RE: [MUD-Dev] players who "take away from the game")

Charles Hughes charles.hughes at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 11 22:30:12 CET 1999

On Thursday, November 11, 1999 6:13 PM, Holly Sommer
[SMTP:hsommer at micro.ti.com] wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Sellers, Michael wrote:
>
> > And, to return to the previous discussion, if a bug is known and
> > someone repeatedly uses it to their own advantage, well, they
> > deserve whatever they get in the end.
>
> What I've done in the past is plant an outrageous item somewhere near the
> person's logout room, as a test. If they exploit it, it'll have some
> undocumented features about it, which might result in a freeze or
> something.

Um, why?   I'm a much bigger player than admin and I've seen this
attitude before but I don't understand it.  Why penalize a player
for the inadequacies of a programmer?  The player is doing EXACTLY
what he's supposed to - it's the game that is behaving improperly.
Why not just take off your belt and whip the server?  (Or, more
appropriately, the programmer. :)

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu