[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Mik Clarke mikclrk at attglobal.net
Tue Nov 16 20:43:27 CET 1999

"Ilya, Game Commandos" wrote:

> 2 - I know of far too many people who quit the admin/imp side of
>      mudding but wouldn't have if they might have been able at least
>      to ask for donations, or possibly charge a small fee.

Well, CthulhuMud is a distant Diku descendent (it still carries the
license, but hybrid with the GPL license).  I would read the license
as not being allow to use it to make a profit through the sale of
access to the Mud or through the sale of the code base.  With a
comercial mud host charging $20-$40 a month, donations are entirely
reasonable from my point of view.  Whether this donation comes from
the imp or the players is fairly irrelevent.  Small fees would have
to be small (probably no more than a dollars or two a year).  I also
don't have a problem with imbedded advertizing and web links
(especially as it will, when I can find a suitable client, acquire
a 'pop web page' capability).  To some extent most muds should be
viewed as charities rather than comercial ventures.

Mik

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu