[MUD-Dev] Mud hosting services

Dundee SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Tue Nov 16 19:26:02 CET 1999

Does anyone know if any mud hosting services are familiar (at all) with =
the
various UO server-emulators available?  Seems like every private shard =
out
there is running on someone's home PC, but lots more people (I imagine) =
would
like to run them, if there were a hosting service that could accommodate
them.

And yeah, it takes about 600 MB for the mapfiles and such, but a person =
could
have multiple shards sharing the same mapfiles, since they are read-only.=
 =20

The emulators themselves are quite a bit smaller.  Our 'worldfile' is =
quite a
bit smaller than most mud's, I think.  And we're running with something =
like
64 RAM on a P200, 30+ users before there's any noticeable lag (ADSL
connection).  I look at most mud hosting service's packages and think =
their
upper-end packages could EASILY handle a UOemulator.  And if they shared =
the
main, read-only files between multiple shards, their lower-end packages =
could
do it, too.

--=20
http://dundee.uong.com/