[MUD-Dev] Admins as Mortals twist

Darren Henderson darren at jasper.somtel.com
Sun Nov 21 15:40:57 CET 1999

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Ryan P. wrote:

> wizard. My idea is this: get rid of the hierarchy! Have about 3-8 true
> administrators (depending

My experience from both the development side and the player side is that a
mud needs to have a strong benevolent dictator at its head. The concept of
player law/democracy, developer cabals etc are just begging for trouble.

You need one responsible, involved, mature, fair person in the head
postion. If they want to allow some one some additonal
duties/responsibilities or what not fine but in the end everything has to
be their say. This means that person lends her reputation to the game.

>From my experiences (mostly in non-role playing venues but a few rp
worlds).... I've come to the following conculussions:

-one person must have total control and thus responsibility

-small staff is better then a large staff

-be fair in your dealings with player and staff

-do not be a slave to a book of rules, piss off the owner or become a
problem you go bye bye, its someones house after all, not a nation where
you player/staff have any sorts of "rights"

-if staff is allowed to play in the production world then you will have
problems if you have a large staff. If nothing else staff has knowledge
which violates the idea of fairness.

I'm sure differences of experience will lead others to differences of
opinion in these obseravtions as should be the case:) Also of course, if
you like the politics and termoil then you need to follow a different
path:)

Darren Henderson                              darren at jasper.somtel.com

                   Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu