[MUD-Dev] Battle Systems

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Wed Oct 6 01:00:27 CEST 1999

Matthew Mihaly wrote:

[snip]

> My problem is with automated player vs. player combat, which I do think is
> a joke. If you're not interested in making it require skill, then why
> bother with it?

[snip]

> A good PvP combat system presents an absolutely excellent ladder of success
> for players to climb up, and just putting the time in doesn't make you climb
> up the ladder, unlike games where who wins seems to mainly depend on your xp
> and equipment. It's also just plain fun, which is more than I can say for
> automated combat systems that I've seen.

Personally I stick with automated combat, but allow high customisation
primarly before - but also after - combat has begun.  My reasoning is
that I want combat to be a test of strategy and counter-strategy rather
than quake-like reflexes.

And yes, a brand new character can defeat a long-term character if the
former is using a particularly good strategy against the latter.  Group
combat becomes even more vicious.

KaVir.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu