[MUD-Dev] an essay on PK

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue Sep 21 08:31:13 CEST 1999

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Mon 20 Sep, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> > You are right, in the sense that one shouldn't continue to PLAY a mud
> > that one finds offensive.  Sure one can post or send the admins opinions
> > of their game, but then it's in their best interest just to quit and
> > find another  game.  That's why I've always believed it was good policy
> > for a Mud to state these things up front before the user goes through
> > the trouble of generating  a character.

> Yes, I agree with this for the most part, though purely out of
> practicality (why set yourself up to deal with the whiners?)

I vowed to stay out of these perpetual discussion, but I could not let this
slip by entirely without making a single observation:

You are apparently assuming that your victims (the whiners) are playing the
same game as you are.  They obviously are not. A large part of the shock is
coming from the fact  that people think  they are playing a particular type
of game and then are suddenly forced into an entirely different type of ga-
me.  Paraphrasing the person who wrote the original article:  Players think
they are safe and that the warning PK allowed does not apply to them, until
I prove them otherwise.
Are such players whiners when they complain vocally? By your standards yes,
but by their own standards their game has been invaded by vandals, and they
have every right to complain.  I am not getting into the discussion  who is
right or wrong on this subject though.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,