[MUD-Dev] Re: Dynamic muds

Tue Sep 21 09:16:07 CEST 1999

[Petri Virkkula:]

This is an interesting example of dynamic building. As usual with these,
I suspect the user gets tired of some of the details fairly quickly. Are
there controls for displaying levels of detail? Are there ways of moving
that don't require the multi-line mini-map display each time?

To be real picky (something I'm known for!):

> There are no light sources here, but you can still see.
> yyyyyyyRc  You are walking on a road going east and west. The road is made of
> yyyyyyyRc  stones. There are some trees near the road.  The road looks like it
> yyy+*--=c  is being used a lot. Above you is a warm, slowly moving, clear sky.
> yy/yyyyRc  A light wind stirs the air.
> y/yyyyyRc  Obvious exits are: nw, n, ne, w, e, sw, s and se.

If the sky is clear, delete the 'slowly moving' part. It is out of place,
and isn't something the character can tell - they can only tell surface
winds in that case.

> It starts to rain.

The descriptions before and after this listed a clear sky. This doesn't
fit properly in that case. Since the coming and going of clouds heavy
enough for rain is something that is noticeable, and sufficiently slow
to be of interest (especially coming after a clear sky), there should be
messages about clouds arriving and departing around this. Perhaps you
just need more variations of cloudiness.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu