[MUD-Dev] Re: Dynamic muds

Emil Eifrém <emil@windh.com> Emil Eifrém <emil@windh.com>
Thu Sep 23 13:00:40 CEST 1999

On Thursday, September 23, 1999 7:54 AM
J C Lawrence [mailto:claw at varesearch.com] wrote:

> I follow the expensive path:
>
>   I never mention a different object or item in the description of a
> given object or location.  Never.
>
> Ergo, if I want this to be in a forest, well I'd better create a
> bunch of trees and make sure the anonymous group code is working so
> that they get compressed into a "forest" at runtime.  If I want
> mountains in the distance, well, umm, I'd better go create some
> mountains...

Very interesting. That's ultimately how I'd like my world to work. It sounds
to me like a core function of this approach is the algorithm that takes a
bunch of objects and decides that they are "similar" enough objects from the
viewer's perspective (influenced by distance, perception and viewer's
interest in the objects?) that they can be ganged together and their
descriptions viewed as one. Complex algorithm, would you mind sharing some
hints on how you've done it?

If I understand it correctly, you're dynamically generating every room
description from all the objects within viewing distance from that room.
Sounds like CPU-cycles to me. Even if you optimize it and just generate
descs whenever objects move and not every time someone enters a room or
requests a room description ("look"), even then it sounds very resource
intensive. Is your world big? Do you sometimes end up with "strange" room
descriptions?

---
Emil Eifrem [emil at windh.net]
Java Developer, .windh AB