[MUD-Dev] Fw: 16K mud server competition !

Travis Casey efindel at io.com
Tue Apr 4 20:37:58 CEST 2000

On Monday, April 03, 2000, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> Chris Gray wrote:

>>Wow, that's not much space! I took a quick look at ToyMUD, to see if there
>>was any chance of doing simple changes to shrink it down. However, it
>>is 80K of code and 26K in the data file. I doubt I could shrink it to
>>16K without losing some major feature or two. The first step would be
>>one of those code obfuscators that removes whitespace and makes all
>>identifiers one or two characters.

> Well spaces, tabs and comments don't count towards the limit.
> Yes, you could also get some mileage out of obfuscating keywords and
> system functions with macros.  You could move all your locals into global
> space, drop all static references, and share them very carefully.

My own thought is to use Forth -- since it's a stack-based language,
there'd be far fewer variables to name.  Plus, Forth syntax is
remarkably compact -- especially once you remove the whitespace.

(That whitespace removal seems like it would give an advantage to
people using some languages -- those where whitespace is significant.
Or, at least, a lot more significant than in C and the like.)

I doubt I'll give it a try, though -- with work, a wife, and a
toddler, one month probably isn't enough time for me to write anything
that actually works without giving up doing anything else in the
little free time I have.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>