[MUD-Dev] dealing with foul language

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Fri Apr 7 20:44:03 CEST 2000

>From Raph Koster:

> Of course, if you do that then people will use spaces themselves to
> circumvent it. They use punctuation now, for example. I've had it=20
> suggested that the optimal filter short of natural language processing =

> would strip all spaces and punctuation, convert numbers and symbols =
used=20
> for particular letters into those letters ("ph3ar my l33t sk1ll2!" -- =
sad to=20
> say, I can now read that as fluently as I read English...) and then =
scan that=20
> string so that "f * * *" would read the same as f***, etc etc.

Sadly though, all swear filters are destined to fail. It's the nature of =
profanity to flow through he smallest openings. Otherwise, we wouldn't =
have rhyming slang and spooner slang ('nother ducker, sholy hit).

Of course, my personal favorite way of getting around swear filters is =
to use archaic slang and slang from obscure languages. I figure by doing =
that, I'm providing a bit of ribald education at the same time as being =
coarse. ;)

If I'm wrong, you can sard me with the Marquis of Lorne like a third =
class renter.

-Zak Jarvis
 http://www.voidmonster.com=20