[MUD-Dev] dealing with foul language

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon Apr 10 10:47:12 CEST 2000

> > Ola said:
> > Whether it is MUDs or mailings lists or newsgroups, a major source of
> > "unpleasantness" is the tendency to provide definitions of other people
> > rather than topics, issues, policies etc. In order to create a good
> > constructive environment I really think one should strive towards making
> > attempts at such definitions irrelevant. One way to achieve this is to
> > create a strong focus on something that matters for most users (thus
> > marginalizing those that are concerned with more trivial matters).  Or
> > so I believe.
>
> Raph replied:
> Ola's New Law: the broader the focus of your virtual environment, the
> more ill-mannered behavior you will see.

Someone beat Ola to it.  :-)  Solomon (held by some as the wisest man to have
ever lived) said, "Where there is no vision, the people perish."  This
proverb is also translated as, "Where there is no vision, the people are
unrestrained."

I wonder if Solomon was a MUD-er.  :-)

--Phinehas

      Paul E. Schwanz, II