[MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens

Mon Apr 10 23:39:31 CEST 2000

Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> is that there was very very little diversity. Beliefs, etc came down in a
> hierarchy from the Emperor and the country was united as has rarely been
> seen in history by this fact. Peer pressure was extreme enough to cause
> suicides, etc.

I don't know enough about Japan to actually make a sensible comment. I
just thought that it might be worthwhile to add that we in the west are
not very well equipped for understanding non-western cultures on the
emotional level. We don't really fully understand the concept of
honour/pride/shame tied to your entire family... We don't really
understand that the person-body relationship can be perceived
differently either...

I wonder if a MUD targeting arabian countries could be designed in a
different way than one targeting say, the US?

I really like the Farmer/Layza musings on japanese culture, and to some
extent the Aoki paper... Scott McCloud's treatment of cultural
differences in comics is also interesting...

I'd appreciate references to studies on the topic (pertaining to
internet or popular culture).

--
Ola (^ o ^)