[MUD-Dev] Historical perspective (was: dealing with foul language)

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Apr 11 09:01:34 CEST 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Joe Andrieu wrote:

> I mean, come on, Seinfield was one of the most sublime existentialist works
> of media this century. The show was about absolutely nothing and said as
> much time and again. Brilliant art and fantastic commercial success.

Agreed. It is one of the few tv shows that I would consider art. The
original Twin Peaks series is another, imho.

> Point being, anyone--heck, EVERYONE--who has an artistic vision should be
> busting their butts working to get it to commercial success, IMNSHO. That's
> the largest audience. That's the largest impact. That's where art really
> matters. Don't throw up your hands and say that commercial success is
> antithetical to art. That just makes things worse.

Hmm. That presumes that 1) The category of entity whose opinion matters is
mankind (as opposed to, say, educated mankind at a narrower level), and 2)
that the goal is to have an impact. I have a lot of respect for the poet
who writes without concern for being published or the (increasingly rare)
musician who doesn't care about selling his music. Art for the sake of art
is a noble pursuit to me.

--matt