[MUD-Dev] Historical perspective (was: dealing with foul language)

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Tue Apr 11 10:49:55 CEST 2000

Matthew Mihaly wrote
> > Point being, anyone--heck, EVERYONE--who has an artistic=20
> vision should be
> > busting their butts working to get it to commercial=20
> success, IMNSHO. That's
> > the largest audience. That's the largest impact. That's=20
> where art really
> > matters. Don't throw up your hands and say that=20
> commercial success is
> > antithetical to art. That just makes things worse.
>=20
> Hmm. That presumes that 1) The category of entity whose=20
> opinion matters is
> mankind (as opposed to, say, educated mankind at a narrower=20
> level), and 2)
> that the goal is to have an impact. I have a lot of respect=20
> for the poet
> who writes without concern for being published or the=20
> (increasingly rare)
> musician who doesn't care about selling his music. Art for=20
> the sake of art
> is a noble pursuit to me.

Well said, Matt. =20

I consider art to be at its core communication between the artist and =
the audience. Sometimes the audience is *not* the mass of humanity. It =
could be self. It could be future generations.  For me, I'm most =
attracted to talking with the billions of people alive today. As in =
"Hello!? There's some really important stuff going on here!!" =3D)

Thanks for pointing out that other artists have different goals.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu=20
Realtime Drama