[MUD-Dev] Sony to ban sale ... point of view of an eq veteran

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Wed Apr 12 01:10:33 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: F. Randall Farmer <randy at communities.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 11:56 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Sony to ban sale of online characters from its popular
gamingsites
[ ... ]

>Comments? Any EQ guys wanna share some thoughts? :-)
>
>Randy

One thing that must be explained to understand some of this - is that one of
the side-affects of people selling on ebay, is certain high level characters
"farming" items which are then sold on ebay.  Thus, during the mid levels,
no legitimate group of midlevel characters has a chance to defeat a
particular NPC for instance who drops the 'Fish bone earring' which imparts
permanent water breathing - because as soon as this poor guy spawns, a high
level "ebay active" player who has a timer going teleports to his location
and kills him with one spell regardless of who else might be waiting (or
have been waiting for hours)... so that he can sell the 'fish bone earring'
on ebay for $50.

So I suggest that the issue which is trying to be dealt with here is not the
sale of reasonably legitimate items earned by players but rather the
exploitive and often abusive behaviour of higher level (often purchased
accounts themselves) who 'steal' kills from other players on a consistent
basis to maintain stock of rare items to sell on ebay.

The fire verant is trying to put out are the midlevel folks being dominated
by higher levels competing for items.  Like any fire, you have heat, fuel
and oxygen.  To put out a fire you have to starve it of at least one of
these three.  They seem to believe that ebay is the oxygen here.

I agree with the general sentiment that you can't legislate desire.
Prohibition demonstrated that.  How will this turn out is anyone's guess,
but I'd be wary of verant trying to take action against accused
sellers/buyers of items.  Let's be honest - noone here is ready to accept
the responsibility for enforcing that kind of policy.  I see 'rights of the
accused' issues and the burden of prosecution looming.  Not to mention the
huge grey area looming.  Is the policy enforceable if I sell an item outside
the game for resources inside the game?  I.e. item for zorkmids?  Is the
policy enforceable if I trade items outside the game?

Lots of serious questions to consider here, and verant does not have the
best track record for jurisprudence or forthought but that's a story for
another time.