[MUD-Dev] Re: Family, was characters per account

Kevin Littlejohn darius at connect.com.au
Wed Apr 12 07:49:24 CEST 2000

>>> Matthew Mihaly wrote

> > But suppose that every script a player writes is available to everyone
> > else (which obviously precludes the "script trade" economy). Then having a
> > "killer script" is at best a momentary advantage.
>
> So if everyone is going to have "the" killer script, why bother?

I have a whole rant about this, to do with the sheer lunacy of building
quests that don't take into account the ease of casting spells etc - if
in your world it's easy to, say, unlock a door with a spell, why would anyone
(including you as area/quest developer) bother locking things up, that has
no world consistency - but the crux of it is, if there's a level playing field,
then you can build accordingly.

I'd expect the definition of a killer script to be fairly fluid, depending
on what sort of character you're playing, and how other chars are behaving
(think tragedy of the commons ;).  I'd also hope, as per other email, that
it'd give people like me who are interested in building really cool NPC's
the chance to tinker with their own ideas, and watch the results, in a system
where the input is going to be in a fairly obvious format and can hence be
coded for, but the environment itself is not necessarily predictable.

KevinL

> --matt

Kevin Littlejohn,
Technical Architect, Connect.com.au
Don't let the Govt censor our access to the 'net -
http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/stop.html