Personal Interest vs. Marketing Decision WAS RE: [MUD-Dev] dealing with foul language

Raph Koster rkoster at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 10:42:55 CEST 2000

Oh, no, because I (and others on the team) were VERY invested emotionally in
having PvP in the game. In fact, I'd say that the fact we were overinvested
in player policing was the problem. (I'm still very invested in this notion
because a) it's interesting and b) it's a sure way to reduce admin costs in
both human and financial terms).

> My belief these days (and largely unspoken, and therefore not very fleshed
out)
> is that content which matters to the developer will be the more successful
> aspect of any given design, which can become an obviously difficult issue
in a
> commercial venue. Most especially in a large scale one.

Well, so the area of the UO design in which I was most invested was the
ALife system and underlying data structures. We turned it off before the
game even launched officially. :) I am but one data point though!

-Raph