[MUD-Dev] Sony to ban sale ... point of view of an eq veteran

Wes Connell wconnell at skotos.net
Fri Apr 14 10:28:11 CEST 2000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Brian Green wrote:

> In addition, players have come to expect the game to work a certain
> way.  Sure, a system might be poorly-designed, buggy, ugly, imbalanced,
> and downright unfair, but people have come to expect that.  They've
> altered their playing style to accomodate these shortcomings.  Changing
> it might be for the better, but you'll get a lot of whining.

Two good examples of this come from UO.
1) Pre-casting. Obviously the developers NEVER intended for an energy bolt
to cast, a halberd wielded, halberd swung, energy bolt released. I
wouldn't go as far as to call it a bug. When it was fixed in a patch I
knew some heavy PvPers who almost quit becuase of removing
pre-casting. Pre-casting was the entire basis of their PvP tactics.

2) Reviving horse stanima. If you were trotting along and your horse ran
out of stanima you could simply dismount and say "all follow me". This
reset the horses stanima and you could continue riding. Once this was
fixed many players blamed OSI for "nerfing" the game when they had fixed a
bug!

Moral of the story is that players like change that is benficial to
THEM. They hate everything else.

Wes!
wconnell at skotos.net