[MUD-Dev] RE: Institutionalizing human behavior

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sat Apr 15 21:05:42 CEST 2000

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Xavier Plagnal wrote:

> 	As a Game Designer and Everquest player, I agree with this strategy.
> 	But as a hard core roleplaying games player, I don't want to play on
> the same server as the persons who will play the game for money purposes. I
> think that to create a special serveur with special registration and real
> trading possibility should be a great addition to the game.

Well, as a hardcore roleplaying games player, you aren't their target
audience either. Hardcore players suck for flat-rate businesses.

> 	It is a bit like Pvp or not Pvp, it is sometimes good to keep the
> player who have the same way of playing together.
> 	As Randy posted, I like to play in a world different of the real
> life and with gratification bounded to the games rules and not to the amout
> of money I really have.
> 	With a game money oriented, there is a possibility that the same
> person who have the power in the real life will hae the power in the game.
> 	It is not good as the games are a way to dream, to forget the real
> life and have a better one in a virtual world.

And with a game that is time-oriented, such as the existing MMORPGs, there
is a possibility that the person who has the most free time in real life
will have the power in the game. Why is that a better situation than
money? (Playing devil's advocate to _some_, though not a complete,
degree.)

--matt