[MUD-Dev] Quote from a Simutronics developer

Ryan Palacio rpalacio at verant.com
Mon Apr 17 14:10:28 CEST 2000

Erik Jarvi wrote:
> Combat and political/economic games are not mutually exclusive.
>
> I'd even say to be a successful political/economic game you _have_ to have
combat.
> Think assassinations, blackmail, any type of crime.  We thrive on crime.
It creates
> ALOT of tension, and player involvement.
>
> Years ago, while Mud hopping, I played this one Mud, I don't even remeber
it's
> name, that had this asshole PKer on it. He was almost always IC on a HnS
Mud.  He
> would constantly PK players around his level and higher.  Everyone on the
Mud had
> a focus point to direct their "hate". He would taunt lowbies, but never PK
them.
> Well it turns out he was a friend of one of the admins, and was asked to
play this
> role.  I thought it was great, others didn't.  But it was a way to direct
players
> activities, like quests. :)

Candid interjection here:
    Actually, socially corrupt societies where bribery, assasination, crime,
etc are the norm seems to be the best environment to incorporate
"pay-for-perqs" and political/economic games.  Just last night while
contemplating the "pay-for-perqs" and "premium services" idea, Empire of the
Petal Throne came to mind as an excellent candidate for an environment and
system that incorporates alot of these aspects in a manner that is
considered "the norm".

~Ryan Palacio