[MUD-Dev] Spawning and quests (was Sony ban)

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon Apr 17 16:33:45 CEST 2000

> >Jeff said:
> >> So you squat and kill the same thing over and over.  When you level up a
> >> couple times, then you can move to the next spot.
>
> Paul E. Schwanz, II  wrote:
> >Regarding spawning, has anyone seriously considered or implemented a system
> >in which mobs only spawn where heroes are not present?
>
> I'll be putting that in this weekend, but we don't really have people
> camping in one spot anyway.  No fixed spawn locations for one thing, and
> dungeons that the players can move through.  I'm really just doing it to
> prevent the players seeing mobs appear out of thin air.
>
> But I don't think its a good idea for EQ to do that for a couple of reasons:
>
> 1. The dungeons are still designed so that there's the "everything ahead is
> too hard and everything behind is too easy".  So you spend 45 minutes
> running to a dungeon to kill one monster, and then have to leave because
> the monster won't respawn while you're there.  I think that would be even
> less fun than killing the same thing over and over.
>
> 2. People are jerks.  Or rather, some are, and allowing them to turn off a
> spawn area by hanging out and chatting with their friends is just handing
> them a big shiny new toy:  "Here's Yet Another way you can annoy people!
> Have fun!"
>
> I believe there are some spots in EQ that won't respawn while PCs are near,
> and people do sit on it to prevent it respawning.  Either because they're
> mad at the other people camping there, have a "if I can't get this item
> then no one else is going to get it either" attitude, or because they're
> just trying to be annoying.

I would differentiate between a system in which mobs spawn only _when_ heroes
are not present and one in which mobs spawn only _where_ heroes are not present.
 While the first system suffers from the problems you've addressed, I don't
think that the second system does.  I wrote the same to Raph, but didn't want
you to feel ignored. :-)  I'd been interested in getting your feedback as well
on the clarification.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissable,
			but not all things are expedient."