[MUD-Dev] Value of Characters [was: Quote from a Simutronics developer]

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at Skotos.net
Mon Apr 17 17:19:22 CEST 2000

Schubert, Damion wrote:
> The number that you mentioned ($25000) actually probably refers to a
> character that was sold from one player to another.  This was long
> before UO, Ebay and EQ ever existed.  It was also back in the GEnie,
> six bucks an hour days.  One only has to think momentarily what that
> kind of price tag on gametime has to do to the value of a character,
> or the amount of cash that is considered trivial to blow on a wedding.

I vaguely recalled that someone was going to sue Kesmai in the early 1980's on
CompuServe for the loss of a character (I think he got eaten by a dragon but the
player said that it was during a lag.) I believe that the amount was over $10K
as that was the amount of money he had "paid" for character at the $12 a hour
that CompuServe charged at the time.

Over the years since then, I've heard people on CompuServe say that they lost a
$1000 character, again, using time to count the value of the character.

I wonder how long until someone sues EQ because they "lost" value on their
character?

.. Christopher Allen                                 Skotos Tech Inc. ..
..                           1512 Walnut St., Berkeley, CA 94709-1513 ..
.. <http://www.Skotos.net>               o510/649-4030  f510/649-4034 ..