[MUD-Dev] Declaration of the Rights of Avatars

Geoffrey A. MacDougall geoffrey at poptronik.com
Mon Apr 17 21:32:50 CEST 2000

Paul said:

> Geoffrey said:
> > If we buy the argument that rights in the vw can never be more than
> > favours granted the players by the Creator, then you raise an
> > interesting point.  Would it not be a more successful
> exercise to use
> > the theory of divine (as opposed to natural) rights when trying to
> > formulate a Declaration of the Rights of Avatars?
>
> Since the vw is not merely co-existent to the rw, but rather
> a subset of it, the
> divine right of the creator of the vw would be subject to
> whatever natural or
> divine rights exist in the rw.  Doesn't this bring us right
> back to the OOC
> issues which inspired Raph's original post, since divine
> rights are IC, but
> Divine and Natural Rights are OOC? :-)

Cool twist - but I have to pose a question back at you...

While the nuts and bolts of the vw are a subset of the rw, are not the
emotional/mental imaginings/reactions of the vw's inhabitants on par in
their severity as the imaginings/reactions of rw inhabitants to their own,
unique stimuli?  And if so, is the vw a true subset of the rw, or a separate
reality formed by the same bricks and mortar - and therefore capable of
sustaining its own set of rights - which are purely political (therefore
mental) abstractions?

G.