[MUD-Dev] Alignment

Travis Casey efindel at io.com
Tue Apr 18 20:45:45 CEST 2000

On Tuesday, April 18, 2000, Schubert, Damion wrote:

>>Not a great system; as someone else mentioned, there's no reason
>>'alignment' should necessarily have the moral overtones it does, nor
>>should it consist of mearly a good/evil or other binary type of
>>situation.  Then, it becomes less of an alignment and more of a 'favor'
>>measure, of how much each 'group/caste/religion/etc' favors you based on
>>your actions.  Interesting idea, that.

> I'd argue that good and evil are social constructs.  As a result,
> the only ones that can determine who is good and evil are GMs or
> players.

In the real world, sure, I'll agree with you.  But in a fantasy world,
good and evil may be built-in aspects of reality.

In any case, though, in a "favor" system, it is a GM whose making the
judgement -- he/she, however, is setting up a system of rules to judge
people on, though, rather than making a case-by-case judgement.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>