[MUD-Dev] Database back ends

dwacks at saleslogix.com dwacks at saleslogix.com
Wed Apr 19 07:21:48 CEST 2000

Hi,

I've been coding for several muds for several years. Unfortunately, while I
was head coder I did not "own" the mud so had to operate within constraints.

One change that I have been playing with is using a SQL back end for all of
the database files : players, world, rooms, objects, etc.

I wrote a test mud using it and seems to have much better performance with
less corruption.  Since MySQL is free with Linux, I have used that for most.
I have also tested wit MS SQL.

My concerns is that I have not seen other MUDs do this. I realize there is
development time, lack of good DBA's to help design, and other issues that
prevent many places from doing it, in addition modifications would hinder
future stock upgrades.

I have used the following codebases: Circle, UE/Greed, ROM, Envy

My question is: In general how do you feel about using a DB back end and
what problems do you see with this.

Thank you,
Sardon