[MUD-Dev] Massive Connections

Christopher Kohnert cjkohner at mail.uccs.edu
Wed Apr 19 21:15:29 CEST 2000

Kevin Scott London wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Christopher Kohnert wrote:
>
> > Can anyone point me at some information regarding the ability to support
> > massive numbers simultaneous connections (read: 1000+).  I've looked at
> > the various documents in the library (like the c10k one), but they
> > really aren't all that helpful.  Does a server of this magnitude simply
> > require massive amounts of memory, or am I doing something terribly
> > wrong?  Any suggestions as to how I can increase the number of
> > simultaneous (active) connections?   I say 'active' here because I can
> > easily connect to many sockets if they aren't actually sending or
> > receiving any data, so it is my guess that the OS (in this case Linux)
> > is doing some buffering of sorts which eats up all my memory.  I
> > couldn't get past 500 or so on a machine with 256 megs of RAM.  Am I
> > wrong in thinking that the poor machine should be able to handle many
> > more than that?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
>
> It could be several things, but each connection requires an open
> descriptor which can be limited by the system.  So depending on which OS
> you are on in this case linux, in tcsh it has a built in command called
> limit you will see something similar to:
> openfiles       1024
> or perhaps
> descriptors     64
> on another system.  There are system limits which you can usually find
> out by setting it to unlimited, for example:
> limit openfiles unlimited
> Then type limit.  So if you are forgetting to close descriptors, or exceed
> the limit then you would see that kind of behavior.  Just guessing though,
> as it could be several factors.
>
> Kevin London

Yeah, I've thought of this.  I can easily reach the 1024 default
descriptor limit in Linux, with 'inactive' sockets, but with 'active'
ones, I can't get past 500ish.  So I know it's not the actual number of
file descriptors that is the problem, it's simply running out of memory
to handle all of them... Quite frustrating.

Chris