[MUD-Dev] shrink wrapped mud development kit (fwd)

Matt Chatterley chattemp at ee.port.ac.uk
Sat Apr 22 14:46:12 CEST 2000

The idea of a 'mud development kit' is an intruiging one.

Just from those three words, I envisage something *very* different to a
functional codebase. The old 'basic' LP libs which were available were
kinda along these lines, if I recall (at least one or two were) - a
starting point to build from.

However, an actual kit might take the form of 'these are the basic parts
of a mud engine', and to my mind would probably be 80% documentation, 20%
framework code (or thereabouts). For instance, it might include network.c
which gave a (functional but basic) socket layer for you to use (or
develop upon).

And so forth, giving a number of modules which can be compiled into a
server (although the distributed server would probably do very little,
and might not even have a fully defined system for rooms/objects).

I'm rambling, but the idea I'm trying to express might be a worthwhile
one for implmenetation.

-- Matt Chatterley
".. You live for the fight, when its all that you've got .."
		Jon Bon Jovi; Livin' on a Prayer, as always.