[MUD-Dev] LED0

Frank Crowell maddog at maddog.com
Sun Apr 23 11:28:14 CEST 2000

was: From banning...to virtual slavery

St=E9phane Garin wrote:

> > Raph Koster a =E9crit :
>
> > =85Sega was going to try it in a big way with LEDOs a while back, and
> others have
> > taken whacks at it.
>
> I'm Looking for the cost of using "Ledos" license (gnerk, gnerk) but
> impossible to find the company. I try many search but all carry out an
> error : postlinear.com doesn't exist any more.  Is there somebody who
> get some information about this license?

My first exposure to the term "LEDO" came from Next-Generation magazine i=
an article talking about Sega's plan to have LEDO inside games. Anyway, L=
EDO
is not one license, but really a concept about how to control the objects
and object rarity  in games.  Here's an example of how LEDO works ingame:

                    Rivera: "All the object s in the game are Limited
Edition Digital Objects. For example; a
                     building, a gun or a vehicle. Each object is unique =
and
tracked on the back end on a secure
                     Oracle d atabase. 10SIX has a collectable economy
similar to Collectable Card games. You
                     begin the game with a 'Starte r Pack' of 30 random
items. If you get 3 Rovers (tanks), then that '
                     s all you have. Your Rover Yard will not produce
endless rovers like other r eal t ime s trategy
                     games. The fictional piece behind the LEDO is a Jitt=
er.
A Jitter is a silicon- based life form that is
                     programmed to form a specific object like a gun or
armor or whatever. For example, a Rover Jitter
                     can never be a gun. If you destroy an enemy Rover, i=
explodes and a Jitter pops out. You can
                     then grab this Jitter and take it to your base, and =
now
you can build the Rover. Of course, Jitter s
                     can be traded and players can buy 'Booster Packs' of
Jitters in the game with their resources, or
                     through HEATs online e-commerce store 'The Black
Market'. Some Jitters are more rare and
                     more powerful than others, and thus, are more sought
after.

frank