[MUD-Dev] Spawning and quests (was Sony ban)

Travis Casey efindel at io.com
Mon Apr 24 16:45:36 CEST 2000

On Monday, April 24, 2000, F. Randall Farmer wrote:

> I've been lucky enough to be a member of two teams who have implemented
> "shadow" copies of "realms" for individuals and groups. Let me say this:
> They
> work great, as long as people win different "shadows" don't need to join
> each other. Parallel copies of spaces can be quite jarring.

> Oracle whispers to you: "I'm in the Royal Throne Chamber, sitting on the
> throne."
> You whisper to Oracle: "I'm standing right in front of the throne, and you
> aren't here!"

> For spaces that are inherently _single_ user, it works the best. WorldsAway
> (now
> known as VZones) uses this for new user hatcheries where the user can
> practice
> alone before being dumped into the head-stealing populous. :-) They also
> used
> it successfully for single-user mazes.

This is a lot like cloning a set of rooms in an LPmud -- which is how
SWmud implements ships.  The "ship object" that a player sees from
outside the ship is just an entrance point that will put a character
who enters into it into the proper cloned set of the rooms that
comprise that type of ship's interior.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>