[MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

Chris Lloyd crl199 at soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 16:17:00 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu [mailto:mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu]On Behalf Of
F. Randall Farmer
Sent: 27 April 2000 00:07
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

>>In a perfect MUD, the entire world is run by the PCs. Cities, guilds,
clans
>>and so on are all determined by the players.
>
>Is this really achievable or desirable? Mr. Lloyd seems to think that
>this is obviously so, but I don't see it at all.
>
>I'm not even sure what it means.

IMHO, the actual world should be run by and for the PCs. If someone wants
food, they have to make it themselves, or buy it from someone who can make
it. The same goes for weapons, armour and bottles with funny-coloured
potions in them.

I certainly think a city or guild should be run by PCs. Is there any point
in election a NPC as a city leader? A friendly imm can write some complex
code for the NPC leader, in order to make it speak and walk around. This
goes to all levels... Constables, wardens, vice-leaders, whatever.

Whilst I admit that it might be unachievable, does it not provide a more fun
and interactive environment when players run their own governments and
clans?

C.