[MUD-Dev] Crafts Systems (was:Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO")

Charles Hughes charles.hughes at bigfoot.com
Fri Apr 28 09:08:12 CEST 2000

Raph Koster <rkoster at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> My observation was that players valued making actual things more than
> anything. And making actual things that were identifiably theirs (eg, a
> maker's mark) was best of all. Making something that wasn't intrisically
> valued in itself was not nearly as cool.
>
> So miners were cool if they could get you valorite. But blacksmiths who
made
> only ingots weren't very cool--ones who made cool stuff were cool. And
> carpenters, who couldn't make ANYTHING cool, were not cool at all, and
> thence were unpopular.

Perhaps players shouldn't be allowed to do some jobs?  I can understand
carpenters being uncool, but perhaps Architect would have been a better
job.  In other words require NPC middlemen but leave the "glamorous" jobs
to the players.  Footsoldier sucks, but Sargeant isn't bad.  Farmer is
okay, but ranch-hand bites. And so on.

A few of the professions which collect raw materials (lumberjack/woodsman,
miner, herbalist) can be interesting because of the possibility of locating
unusual/valuable items.  Locating/mating/cloning sheep just doesn't have
the same kind of attention-holding power. :)