[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Zak Jarvis zak at voidmonster.com
Sat Apr 29 09:45:35 CEST 2000

My inspirations for this little pet project have been quite varied.

It started with Carnegie Mellon's Project Oz.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/oz/web/oz.html

I didn't get in depth into what they'd done, just grabbed a few predigested
tidbits about emotional perception here, dramatic simulation there.

Some bits of Desmond Morris' anthropology worked in, some Oliver Sachs, a
heaping helping of Rodney Brooks. I've been stewing this stuff
independently of the larger development community for a number of years.

Joining this list, I've been at once pleased and horrified (I want *all*
the glory, dammit!) that others have thought of some of the same things I
have, and in numerous instances developed them better than I would have.
Fortunately, I feel like I'm bringing a unique synthesis of ideas together
into a whole which is at least marginally different from what others have
done here.

There was a time when I would have been crippled by paroxysms of disgust if
someone took these ideas and used them before I had a chance to. Now,
however, I *hope* someone will. Especially considering I don't currently
even have prospects for developing this into an actual game.

That way I can see if they work and learn from their mistakes. ;)

-Zak Jarvis
 http://www.voidmonster.com