[MUD-Dev] MUD Wimping

Matt Chatterley chattemp at ee.port.ac.uk
Thu Aug 3 11:48:03 CEST 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 22:47:08 +0000 (GMT)
> Matthew Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:
>
> > Muds are not "just games." Games are trivial amusement. A mud is a
> > virtual life.
>
> To a casual gamer?

But, why then are they considered virtual lives? Is it simply the
immersive gameplay element? Could Civilisation then be considered a
virtual life for me, since I get equally wrapped up into such games and
spend vast amounts of time playing away at them.

Perhaps the reason for this consideration is the emotional factor
introduced by social elements of the game - the people whom you play with
seem much more like 'real' people than they do in a game with very
limited communication elements inbetween players.

-- Matt Chatterley
".. You live for the fight, when its all that you've got .."
		Jon Bon Jovi; Livin' on a Prayer, as always.