[MUD-Dev] The Player Wimping Guidebook

Koster Koster
Fri Aug 4 07:46:52 CEST 2000

This is an indication that you are moving towards a more hard core
playerbase.

> What if you make a change that causes 1% of your playerbase to depart,
> but the other 99% to enjoy the game twice as much?

This doesn't happen--if there's even a modicum of word of mouth, it's a
statistical blip. You'll start gaining more folks like the 99% almost
immediately.

> If you replace your mud server with a Quake server and subsequently
> double your playerbase, is this considered a good design choice?

No. It might be a good business choice if you're charging, though. :)

> Success is defined by you, the admin.  Most administrators agree that
> a larger playerbase is better, but it is not the only metric.

True. But it happens to be a metric we can actually measure, unlike "how fun
the game is to x% of the game."

-Raph