[MUD-Dev] linked worlds (was: On Lockless Threading and X/Open XA)

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Aug 4 10:17:30 CEST 2000

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Bruce wrote:

> KevinL wrote:
> > claw at kanga.nu wrote:
> > > What if the arbitrarily distributed form of InterMUD and portals
> > > were as ubiquitous and well defined as HTTP?
> >
> > Sadly, every time this sort of thing has come up, world balance
> > issues have killed it - at least, in every forum I've seen.
> > How do you mix (drawing three examples from mid-air) Arctic,
> > Legend, and Archaea into one globule of a universe?  What exactly
> > would be worth carrying from place to place - characters?  items?
> > gold?

Damn it, it's Achaea! =) You're not French are you? The French I've dealt
with seem to like to spell it Archaea.

I have to agree with you on the world balance issue. I don't see any
practical way to do it between two muds that are reasonably unique,
particularly as most muds are generally evolving. I suppose you could
probably do it between a bunch of bog-standard Dikus, but that's hardly
very exciting. "Hey Bob, look, we can go to the exact same area in 50
different muds! Whoo hoo!"

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1