[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Thu Aug 24 09:43:21 CEST 2000

At 12:23 AM 8/24/00 +0000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
>It's a matter of whether they are running out and killing each other out
>of sheer boredom or out of a proactive desire to nail their enemies. If
>they have no real enemies, then it just boils down to random chaos with
>people whacking each other out of a lack of anything better to do.
>
>You have to enable group hatred of each other to make it constructive, in
>my opinion.

I've been working under the assumption that I need to give them a reason
NOT to kill each other.  Of course I'll try to make the game fun,
non-boring, and give them things to do other than kill each other, but I
was thinking that if there's not a compelling reason to not kill each
other, we'll have a Quakefest.

In general, the game system is structured so that they have to be members
of a small group in order to advance, and the small groups have to
cooperate with all the other small groups in order to thrive.  I'm assuming
that some groups just won't cooperate, people being the way they are, and
by not cooperating (because the other groups need for them to cooperate),
they'll be placing themselves in the role of "the enemy" (the other groups
will try to force them to cooperate).

How do you enable group hatred on your MUD?  Competition for limited
resources, territory, etc, or is there more to it than that?

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/