[MUD-Dev] Reputation & Trust Circles [was UO rants]

KevinL darius at bofh.net.au
Fri Aug 25 02:56:57 CEST 2000

>>> "Joe Andrieu" wrote

> Right.  The system would be a fine way to augment automagic reputation
> based on actions like being caught steeling, attacking a merchant, etc.,
> which of course presumes that these actions are coded into the system.
>
> The intriguing opportunity however, IMHO, would be to set it up so that the
> system is primarily driven by the players. So that judgments are being made

I actually had that discussion with someone else here straight after sending
that email.  Another option, which appeals to me at least, would be to
randomly assign trust metrics to new players from random NPC's as they
enter the game - so when you create a new char, a bunch of NPC's just
randomly decide they like you and will trust your outlook on life.

The reason I like this approach is it makes it that much more difficult
to hack - you'd have to find the right group of random strangers to coerce,
rather than simply corrupting a guild and getting control over all the NPCs
that trust that guild.  At the same time, you're going to get general "waves"
in behaviour from the NPC's - basically, they're going to like or dislike
people consistently at random (if that mnakes sense).

Combine that with mixing the NPC's own trust webs in, and apply to a decently
large (ie. probably have to be approaching UO levels of players) mud, and
you might find NPC's start to be a little "quirkier" - but in a consistent
way.

Just thoughts, anyway.

KevinL