[MUD-Dev] Reputation & Trust Circles [was UO rants]

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Fri Aug 25 05:32:53 CEST 2000

"Ben" writes:
> The only possible way of making the whole thing work is having a more
> complex system.  Picking up something a monster threw on the ground, would
> not constitute bad. Picking up something someone dropped when they died
> would.  There would have to be a way of distinguishing this.  The action of
> picking something up, would only be bad if certain things were true about
> what was being picked up, and who was doing the picking up.  This would
> require more in-depth programming, but would in the end result in much more
> realism.  But you then make a choice... is something still known to have
> happened, if no one was there to see it???

Jane has Bob kill Ned and drop his rare sword somewhere lonely, where she comes
and picks it up.

Mind you, you could probably have the city guards ask about where she got
that flashy sword when they just found Ned's mutilated corpse floating
down the river...

And, of course, we'd have people killing others and giving their equipment
to newbies to watch the newbies get killed by the guards.

Anyone here still think they can design a system that's safe from abuses?

About the only one that ever struck me as having any kind of counterbalance
would be the 'curses' system mentioned here, assuming you had a barrier
to generating 30 characters to curse someone.  (either controlled rate of
character creation or min level/playtime to do it)

... and that isn't really a reputation/alignment system.  More of a
enforcement matter.

--Dan