[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Shawn L Johnston sjohnston at satshot.com
Fri Aug 25 09:29:19 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Milker" <tmilker at radiks.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] UO rants

> Reading this made me think of something.  Has any MUD ever
> attempted to require that players use a different OOC name than their
> MUD name?  All of the MUDs that I played, with OOC channels, would
> just use the character's name when sending messages.  The reason
> I bring this is up is that players who socialize in OOC channels
> may become friends or it may poison their actions when they meet
> up with this person in the game.  No matter how many times the
> admins state that OOC is truly OOC, it's hard not to let the
> things a person say affect your judgement or actions.  Perhaps if
> the users, unless explicitly told in private, did not know the
> character names of the people they were talking about, OOC might
> become even more OOC.  Of course, there would have to be rules
> against saying who people were on the channel.  Anyone else think
> this could work?
>
> Ted

Dark Sun Online sort of did this. You had a login name and their was
a lobby right before you went into the game where players could hang
out and chat with each other. Very few people would then use their
login name as one of the actual characters in game. Their was no
actual ooc channel once within the game however. I think the Realms
also might have had something more like what your talking about,
though I don't know for sure. Personaly I think its a good idea.

Shawn