[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Keith G. Spencer kspencer at bigfoot.com
Fri Aug 25 12:31:25 CEST 2000

Brian 'Psychochild' Green wrote:
> If you don't like PvP, then don't put it in the game.  The big three
> graphical commercial MUDs have shown that people are more than happy to
> play in a game without PvP.

Actually I dont think this is fully the case, some of the biggest events in
UO at the time I was playing were the Fight Nights held on many of the
shards.  And of Late, EQ has been having more & more 'best of the best' type
competitions in the Arena.  These provide both excitement for those that
want to compete & also a great deal of entertainment for those watching.

The key difference here is that these are consensual fights, both parties
are aware of the impending conflict.  PvP when it comes to grief players, is
strictly unconsensual, it usually involves jumping someone when they're weak
or not expecting the attack

-Keith