[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Koster Koster
Fri Aug 25 13:43:23 CEST 2000

Perhaps the oldest solution to PvP--safe areas. Or conversely, arenas. :) No
offense, but I suspect it will seem old hat to most on this list, as they
come from a text mud background by and large.

> This seems identical in many respects to a PVP switch that can switched on
> and off at will but without the potential abuse of using it to escape a
> bad situation, or infiltrate an enemy guild hall while PVP- and then
> throwing the switch to assassinate their leader.

In smaller environments, or environments with less travel time, all the same
abuses you describe are very common (kill someone, race across the line with
a speedwalk macro). Boundary conditions are also nasty, something solved in
UO's solution by teleportation being required.

It is very definitely different from a PK switch--the very definition of a
switch is that it is a character-baed solution as opposed to a map-based
solution.

I used to hate geographical PvP solutions because of the boundary conditions
and abuses. But the higher amounts of travel time required in a graphical
environment have made me change my mind; of all the "hack" or code-based
methods of dealing with PvP (switch, zones, arenas, consent flags, etc) it's
currently my favorite.

Still holding out for the social solution, of course. ;)

-Raph