[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Fri Aug 25 14:43:24 CEST 2000

> From: "Tess Lowe" <tess at havensong.com>

> Ah, reputation systems. A subject close to my heart. I remember spending a
> great deal of time trying to devise a system to measure the relative
> reputations of players, but when I talked to Dr Bartle about it, he
> dismissed it as being entirely unnecessary. I was a bit defensive at the
> time and tried to justify the need for such a system, but my later
> experiences proved that he was correct. Nothing, in my opinion, is superior
> to players making their own judgements about each other, free from
> interference from an artificial ethical 'scoring' system.

But should a reputation system be based on players' judgements about other
players, or about characters' judgements about other characters?

<snip>

> Ie Code being unjust is bad. Players being unjust is good.

As someone else pointed out, players being unjust is only good for the most
powerful players (according to Jonathon Baron's "cumulative character" concept,
this is equivalent to the most persistent players).  It can end up sucking for
the casual gamer.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."