[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Fri Aug 25 22:34:04 CEST 2000

Brad Wyble writes:
> Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen people discussing the recent UO
> solution to PVP consent, namely by geography.  They have 2 worlds, one
> which allows PVP and the other which does not and players can travel
> between the two almost at will.  Note that the PVP- area includes dungeons
> and adventure areas, so I'm not just speaking of the
> distinction between the safe city and unsafe wilderness which existed
> before this solution was implemented.
>
> This seems identical in many respects to a PVP switch that can switched on
> and off at will but without the potential abuse of using it to escape a
> bad situation, or infiltrate an enemy guild hall while PVP- and then
> throwing the switch to assassinate their leader.

Ok, what's preventing exactly that sort of abuse?

Time delay from last kill to allow warping back?  Certain portal
locations?   Steal and run to safety, the ever popular trick.

Yes, PvP- is now a safer world, but it's further degraded the PvP+
that originally existed.   Now people can choose weather or not to
take the concequences of their actions.  I forsee a lot of hiding
out on PvP- with the occasional foray into PvP+ to annoy people there.

I don't see this as being a very sound situation for the same reason
that free PvP switches are sound.  AC's quests to swap sides are probably
much less prone to abuse.  (Although not entirely.  Kill, log, come back later
and quest back to the light)

At least on Darktide and the equivilant you had to make a choice to play there,
and build a character up.

--Dan