[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Fri Aug 25 22:45:52 CEST 2000

"John Buehler" writes:
> An approach that sucks away resources from one team would be a problem.  Those
> resources are used by the peaceful types, and would negatively impact their
> ability to do the stuff that they're interested in doing.  Of course, if a

Of course those resources are used by the peaceful types.  If your "make love
not war" types suddenly find it's harder to eat because they're not helping
defend, they might get off their asses and do something.  Hell, even switching
sides is an option.  Traitors exist everywhere.

I fail to see how it's "fun" to be coddled.  Why must online games have cheat
codes?  single player games with cheat codes are extremely boring.  Why do we
keep assuming that online games would be any different?

And yes, deciding what things in the world impact you is a cheat code.  Just
because you don't have a "give me infinite levels" cheat dosn't mean that
"make me immune to the war" isn't.  It's the same vein as "make me immune to
fire-breathing dragons."  Specific, but cheating nonetheless.

> city changes hands, it's unclear how that wouldn't really have an impact.  If
> possession of cities really boils down to bragging rights and the benefit of
> tax money, then cities would be games within the world game.

I've played those games.  It ends up being boring really quickly (with one
side Winning on an irreversable basis) because there's no incentive for the
other side to even bother.  "Oh, our taxes go to side B rather then A today?
oh well."

In fact, on a few I've played the war ended up being a battle between the
winning side and how many resources the imm could pump into the other side,
since nobody wanted to be on the losing side, AND there were no concequences
to chosing sides.... you could go wherever you wanted no matter which side you
were on.   Well, there were some minor perks (slightly cheaper on your native
soil) but all in all it didn't matter.

Again, if you're not going to do make an attempt at doing PvP, don't waste any
time at all on it.  Whever PvP is an afterthought, it shows.

--Dan