[MUD-Dev] Reincarnation instead of Resurrection

Shawn L Johnston sjohnston at satshot.com
Sat Aug 26 11:34:18 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lovecraft" <dave at darkages.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 9:43 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Reincarnation instead of Resurrection

> I'm curious to see a URL of a MUD that does re-incarnation or lineage,
> re-incarnation into a kin.
>
> It is theoretically more IC-plausible than resurrection.  It appeals to
> role-players, in theory.  I remember playing and GMing several
pencil&paper
> systems where the GM used points transference.  The points total from the
> dead character was used to make up a new one, at a penalty.  It wasn't a
> MUD, and I am a deviant in the psychographics of MUD players, so I doubt
its
> MUD player appeal.

I'd think this might have some possibilities. In the AD&D Dark Sun paper
game
their was an option known as character trees were you had 3 or 4 characters
and
you played only one at any given time. As the character you were playing
you could advance the other characters in your "tree", though they advanced
at a
slower rate.

I could see doing something like what you are suggesting or like the
character
trees as appealing to players in online games because the more time they
spend the
with the game the easier it is to start up new characters without having to
start from
scratch.

Shawn