[MUD-Dev] PK vs. PvP (was: UO rants)

Matt Chatterley chattemp at ee.port.ac.uk
Sun Aug 27 19:24:45 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Vincent Archer <archer at nevrax.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] PK vs. PvP (was: UO rants)

> According to Matt Chatterley:
> > This is an administration issue for that particular game, though, I
would
> > say. Or rather, an AA (A*****e Attack). Its a particularly extreme
> > example, and one that could surely be dealt with quite quickly once
> > reported to the game heads - its in no way a reason that PvP is bad.
>
> I wasn't specifically implying PvP is bad in itself. I was replying to
> the assertion "PvP brings out the best in people" by showing it also
> brings out the worst possible behaviours.

My apologies for misinterpreting. :) Given that, I agree fully - PvP has
always, in my experience, brought out the worst qualities in players (a
generalisation, I know). Players will be more inclined to cheat, and use
other (less directly) underhanded methods to defeat other players, than they
would to defeat 'non human' systems.

Of course, a lot of players use various abusive play methods to defeat the
automated systems present (which I don't really understand, personally).
But, yes, you're right, I feel.

> There's also anothe assertion in the same post I didn't reply to, it
> was that PvP was rewarding because "it puts you against people that
> are as smart or smarter than you are".
>
> As many people know, the smarts of the typical player in a game world
> is inversely proportional to the player base size... :)

Heh. I like that. :) A well set up PvP game, is, to me very rewarding,
because players have one thing which is incredibly hard (nigh on
impossible?) to recreate well in NPCs and generally, coded systems - that
is, the ability to take chances, make guesses, and generally, use totally
unpredictable tactics based on whims.

-Matt