[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Brad Wyble wyble at wjh.harvard.edu
Sun Aug 27 19:29:28 CEST 2000

Dan writes

> > Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen people discussing the recent UO
> > solution to PVP consent, namely by geography.  They have 2 worlds, one
> > which allows PVP and the other which does not and players can travel
> > between the two almost at will.  Note that the PVP- area includes dungeons
> > and adventure areas, so I'm not just speaking of the
> > distinction between the safe city and unsafe wilderness which existed
> > before this solution was implemented.
> >
> > This seems identical in many respects to a PVP switch that can switched on
> > and off at will but without the potential abuse of using it to escape a
> > bad situation, or infiltrate an enemy guild hall while PVP- and then
> > throwing the switch to assassinate their leader.
>
> Ok, what's preventing exactly that sort of abuse?

Well, if the guild hall is in PVP+ land, you can't infiltrate it safely.
If it's in PVP- land, you can't assassinate them.

Yes alot of these solutions are going to be broken with teleportation.
Seems to me that teleportation breaks alot of things concerning PVP.  When
discussing a plausible geographic solution, easy teleporting in and out
of it has to go.

> Time delay from last kill to allow warping back?  Certain portal
> locations?   Steal and run to safety, the ever popular trick.

Not if the PVP- zone is the size of the united states, and you can't
teleport, or teleport spells have a 10 minute casting time.  I should
have made this more explicit I guess.  Got any more?

> Yes, PvP- is now a safer world, but it's further degraded the PvP+
> that originally existed.   Now people can choose weather or not to
> take the concequences of their actions.  I forsee a lot of hiding
> out on PvP- with the occasional foray into PvP+ to annoy people there.

I don't think any PVP solution will work in UO as long recall and gate
spells exist.

> I don't see this as being a very sound situation for the same reason
> that free PvP switches are sound.  AC's quests to swap sides are probably
> much less prone to abuse.  (Although not entirely.  Kill, log, come back later
> and quest back to the light)
>
> At least on Darktide and the equivilant you had to make a choice to play there,
> and build a character up.

Yes, darktide has some problems.  Even logging out is a viable means of
escape.

-Brad Wyble