[MUD-Dev] Playerkilling Pacifists

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sun Aug 27 21:02:36 CEST 2000

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Michael Tresca wrote:

> Jeff Freeman posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 5:34 PM:
>
> > Is it possible to have a MUD which allows PvP (as in, no PK switch, even)
> > and yet doesn't have any?
>
> Sure is.  As I was reading the post I was amused because RetroMUD has
> precisely this situation.  Attitude is what you instill in your players.

Not entirely of course, but to a large extent, I agree. The big three
failed miserably (didn't even try I think) to evolve a culture in their
various shards that might be less conducive to assholes. I respect that
it's a _lot_ harder to do with 2000 players online in a shard at once, but
you could definitely still have some influence.

> We have rules about PK abuse, but player killing is allowed.  However, the
> higher level populace has made this nearly impossible through peer
> pressure -- they say everything from, "You'll get nuked if you PK" to "PKing
> isn't allowed on this MUD."
>
> But the rules are clearly stated, and new players read them when they enter
> the game - you CAN PK somebody.

Well, to a large extent, if you are a newbie and the higher-level players
tell you that something is not allowed, then that's the same as giving
them a help file saying it isn't allowed.

> It also means that the coding staff can be held responsible for the attitude
> of the game -- I don't buy the "well there's lots of players out there, we
> can't help it if they're jerks."  You most certainly can, but if you'd
> rather have a million jerks versus 100 quality players, then that's a choice
> you made when you started the game.

We have a couple thousand players, most of whom are quality, with a
handful of jerks that everyone loves to hate (and whom I get to relieve my
admin-induced rage on when I decide to punish them in fun ways for
whatever latest ridiculous offence they have committed). So, it scales up
at least a magnitude.

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1