[MUD-Dev] Playerkilling Pacifists

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Mon Aug 28 08:11:19 CEST 2000

Matthew Mihaly wrote on Sunday, August 27, 2000 5:03 PM

> > We have rules about PK abuse, but player killing is allowed.  However,
the
> > higher level populace has made this nearly impossible through peer
> > pressure -- they say everything from, "You'll get nuked if you PK" to
"PKing
> > isn't allowed on this MUD."
> >
> > But the rules are clearly stated, and new players read them when they
enter
> > the game - you CAN PK somebody.
>
> Well, to a large extent, if you are a newbie and the higher-level players
> tell you that something is not allowed, then that's the same as giving
> them a help file saying it isn't allowed.

The implications of this effect are interesting:

Even though the coding staff created a "law," the players are ignoring it
and enforcing their own laws instead.  And basically, if a highbie tells you
it's true, it may as well be.

This means that players are far more empowered to effect change and mold the
attitude of a MUD than a lot of administrative staff give them credit for.
If you can instill the "right" attitudes in your higher level players (the
ones that match the overall style of play you'd like to encourage for your
game), that's half the battle.  This concept is overlooked in favor of mass
appeal and is precisely why I'm not playing UO and AC anymore -- failure to
encourage any behavior is a behavior in itself.

Michael "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org
telnet://retromud.org 3000